The Washington State Department of Labor and Industries had a great article about ladder safety. Here are a couple of tips from the article.
1. Always do a thorough inspection.
2. Check the ladder feet.
3. If you’ll be near electricity, use a fiberglass ladder.
4. Use your ladder on level ground.
5. When working on a roof or other ledge, extend your ladder three feet past the landing point.
6. Always keep three points of contact.
7. Use a tool belt if you will need tools.
8. Never stand on the top cap or rung.
9. Follow the “belt buckle rule” while on the ladder.
10. Keep your ladder off the sidewalk and other places where pedestrians could bump into it.
They also included a great video that we thought we’d share.