Looking for a simple ladder safety training for your team? Here are a couple ideas to get you started.
First, go over ladder safety basics.
- -Always maintain 3-point contact while on the ladder
- -Remember to face the ladder while climbing
- -Never lean outside the rails
- -If using tools, carry them in a tool belt or use a hand line
- -Make sure the top of the ladder extends three feet above the roof line
- -Keep your ladder clean and free of any slippery materials
Here’s what your employees should NOT DO with their ladders:
- -Put the ladder on any unstable bases like boxes or barrels
- -Use the ladder on soft ground
- -Put more weight on the ladder than the weight rating allows
- -Tie two ladders together
- -Use the ladder too close to overhead power lines
- -Move the ladder while a person is on it
- -Lean outside the ladder rails
- -Use an extension ladder as a platform
Visual aids can also be helpful in training. Showing videos like this one can perfectly illustrate how not to use a ladder.