Little Giant Ladder Systems is the safety and innovation leader in climbing systems and professional access equipment. With a myriad of instructional videos, safety equipment, and articles, we’ve fought hard to arm our customers with the best ladder safety tips. Here are a few more step ladder tips to make sure you’re handling your step ladder safely and properly.
What is a step ladder?
In the simplest terms, a step ladder is a short folding ladder with flat steps and a small platform. It’s the smallest of ladders and is typically used in smaller projects that don’t require a lot of extra height.
What are some step ladder safety tips?
One of the leading causes of occupational injuries and fatalities is falling from ladders. Here are some safety tips to safely using a step ladder:
- Follow all labels/markings found on the ladder.
- Avoid placing ladder near electrical hazards.
- Inspect the ladder before using it.
- If the ladder is damaged, don’t use the step ladder.
- Maintain a 3-point of contact on the ladder whenever climbing up the ladder. This means placing either two hands and a foot or two feet and one hand on the ladder at all times.
- Only use the ladder for its designed purposes.
- Place the ladder on stable and level ground avoiding slippery and uneven surfaces.
- Never use the top rung of the ladder.
- Don’t place ladder on unstable bases such as boxes or barrels.
- Don’t move the ladder while someone is using it.
- Make sure locks are engaged whenever using the step ladder.
- Don’t exceed the maximum load rating of the ladder.
What sizes do step ladders come in?
Step ladders range in size from 4 ft. to 20 ft. in length. Stepladders shorter than 4 ft. are considered Step Stools. The highest standing level on a step ladder is slightly more than 2 ft. from the top of the ladder.
The Little Giant Safety Step™ is a small ladder option that’s available in 2, 3, and 4-step sizes. The safety step is a unique combination of strength and simplicity. The Safety Step is constructed with super-strong, lightweight aerospace-grade aluminum. Its wide, slip-resistant steps give you unmatched comfort and stability. The Safety Step operates so easily that you can open and close it with one hand. Its slim storage depth (5 ½ inches) will let you store it just about anywhere. It’s also made for professional and industrial use. In fact, the Safety Step is rated to hold up to 300 lbs. on each step. This tough, compact step stool can handle just about any task, from the lightest house chore to the heaviest industrial job.
We also offer 5-8’ Type 1A step ladders, 24-in-1 Heavy Duty 17’ ladders, 22’ step ladders, and more. Check out all our step ladder options here.
What is considered the safe use of step ladders?
The proper use of a step ladder includes:
- Level ground support for all legs of the ladder
- Fully open base
- Spreaders locked
- Mount the ladder from the middle, not the side or step from one ladder to another in a sideways motion
- Always face the ladder and maintain a firm hold when climbing the ladder
- Don’t attempt to carry other objects while climbing
- Never step on the top rung of the ladder
Learn more about ladder safety on our safety page.